Who We Are
We are a Lutheran Church, member of the ELCA (Evangelical Lutheran Church in America), that believes:
• The Bible is God's Word.
• God is one God eternally existing in three persons: the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
• Jesus is both fully God and fully human, who by His death on the cross has redeemed us.
• The Holy Spirit's gifts are available and operative today for all Christians.
• Human nature is sinful and is redeemed only through faith in Jesus Christ.
• Salvation is a free gift provided by Christ alone, that we receive by grace through faith.
• We are a part of one true Church made up of all who believe in Christ as Lord.
• Prayers are heard and answered.
• Jesus instituted Holy Baptism and the Lord's Supper (Communion). That God truly acts in these sacraments and that our faith is essential for their effectiveness.
• Becoming a Christian leads to a changed life, that is a lifelong process of growth.
• That all those who are baptized into Christ have a part in God's mission to the world.
• We best embody Christ when we work together!
We gather in groups, large and small to grow with one another in our relationship with God through Jesus Christ; we live as children of God empowered by His Spirit to serve the community and one another faithfully in Jesus' name.
"Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever."
Karen E. Larson
Pastor Karen Larson is a grateful recipient of the love and grace of God and is eager to share that love with the people of Zion, Leola and beyond. Born and raised in central Connecticut, Pastor Karen is a “second career” pastor, having worked in the medical field and raised a family before attending seminary.
As pastor she enjoys creating and leading dynamic worship services and feels privileged to learn the stories of the people she serves. As wife she enjoys quiet times with her husband, walking, and gathering her family together for family meals and celebrations and fun. She especially adores spending time with her young grandson, and walking and playing with her fur-babies.
One of the things that excites Pastor Karen the most about her call to Zion is the focus on outreach that is at the core identity of this congregation. In her free time, she quilts, reads, gardens, enjoys movies, and exploring the area. She is looking forward to meeting you soon, and walking with you in your life of faith.
Patti Corll - Director of Faith Formation
Before I moved to Lancaster County, I grew up in a small town called New Kensington in western Pennsylvania and have always felt the tug of God’s Spirit to help and serve children and their families. In 2011, I left the practice of law to concentrate on ministering to God’s children, from infants to high schoolers. I have been blessed with unique background experiences and I am so excited to use them serving God at this wonderful congregation - Zion! My family and I look forward to worshiping, praying, learning, growing and serving with you!
Rebecca "Becky" Rairigh - 8 a.m. Worship Organist
I grew up in Western Pennsylvania in North Huntingdon, PA. I graduated from West Virginia University with a Bachelors and Masters in Music, Organ. I am happily married to Jay and we have been blessed with two beautiful daughters, Juliann and Jenilee. I work full time for Citizens Bank as a Senior Teller. God has certainly taken us on a journey and has been present in all that we have done. I am very thankful for His love, His mercy, and His grace in my life. I look forward to serving the Zion Lutheran congregation through my music.
Kurt Brown - 10:30 a.m. ContemporaryWorship Music Leader
Kurt is a lifelong musician, starting in school bands as a teenager in Scranton, PA. Now self-employed in marketing, he put music on hold during the family raising era with his wife Karen and daughters Elyse and Lauren. As a member of Trinity Lutheran in Lancaster, he helped develop their contemporary service in 2003 and went on to team up with bands at The Crossings Church Lititz, Manheim BIC and St. Paul Lutheran Lititz. During this time he also started performing solo and as part of a duo in local clubs, writing and producing original songs. I am blessed to now be part of worship here at Zion Lutheran Leola, grateful to be included in a caring, loving family of worshippers.